Pages

Cold comfort/-/ Lemon and poppy seed Puffs with lemon curd and whipped cream.




Are you are hot or cold person? No, I am not talking about the Katy Perry song but do you have preference for hot temperature things or cold? I am asking this because today it was cold but I got free ice cream from Ben and Jerry’s, since it was “Free cone day”. OMG!!! I am jealous of the USA peeps right now, damn that I have to travel to city in order to get it. I got a scoop of Triple caramel chunk…Made a day a university so worth it



Often my mum and dad will say “put on a jacket or are you cold?” and even after 15 years of me being able to communicate, it has always been “no”. Funny that they still have not learned that will be response every time they ask. Maybe they are just getting forgetful.

Unlike many people in my family, I heart cold things. When I was younger my sisters used to joke with me that being a cold person meant you had cold blood; while they (being people who love the warmth) had warm blood. I was not sure if I thought it was negative or positive but I am sure I thought it had something to do with being related to lizards. Now I have grown up and gone to school, the biological reasons behind why I love cold things is down to the complex process of metabolism. More energy you use, the more heat you produce therefore I need to keep my temperature down. Hey it might not be more accurate theories but judging on what I go through (food wise) in a day, this is the best explanation yet.





So for my cold folks out there, what do you love most that is cold? Cold weather, Cold weather sports, cold food (yes, I eat cold leftovers from the fridge when too lazy to heat it up), slushies and above all the king of cool foods; ice cream. Love Ice cream but still too lazy to make it. Maybe one day





For me, cold food and cold weather are made for each other. Weird, I know but here me out. I believe that these two things keep me away from the sick germs that often fly around in Winter. The recent ads for flu shots and cold management guild lines tells me it is time open all the windows and eat more ice cream. I have heard on the grape vine that sick bugs grow and spread because people close all the window and do not let fresh air in. So you breathe the same warm, wet air for a good part of the day at work or at school. No wonder you get sick!

Also the ice cream thing, not from a health perspective but a personal one. Most people get hungrier in Winter, I do not. Honestly in winter I would rather go the route of the bears; sleep all winter because I get so tried and lose my hunger signals. Ice cream is yummy, always in mood to eat it and keeps me awake! Triple win!



These may not be ice cream but they are one of my favourite cold desserts. Choux pastry is so versatile and can be made into sweet or savoury snacks. Profiteroles are little puffs filled with French custard or whip cream then topped with chocolate, often used as an after dinner treat or can be the centre of attention as the croquembouche. I have been inspired by all the lemon and poppy seed food stuffs this season and made a flavour pastry casing. You can never have too much lemon, so these petite puffs are filled with a mixture of lemon curd rippled whipped cream. Tart, sweet and melt in the mouth treats; way too nice to keep to yourself.

They are not hard, just lots of beating (hey, exercise is good; you eating this later right). Simple treats for your lunch this weekend.

Happy baking even in the cold.



Lemon and poppy seed profiteroles with lemon curd rippled cream.

Adapted from Adriano Zumbo



Choux Pastry



100g Butter

10g sugar

215ml milk

3g salt

130ml water

125g plain flour

1tsp lemon zest

20g poppy seeds

4 eggs



Stabilised Whipped cream



10g powder gelatin

10g vanilla extract

400ml pure cream

30g caster sugar

150g lemon curd

1g salt



150g milk chocolate for topping



Preheat oven to 190c.Prepare two lined baking trays

Place butter, sugar, milk, lemon zest, salt and water in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove from heat.

With a wooden spoon beat in flour and seeds. Return to heat and continue beating until mixture comes away from the sides of bowl. I did for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly.

In large bowl of a stand mixer, place dough ball. Beat mixture for 1 minute for it to cool. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition, until all the eggs have been added and mixture is thick and glossy. Beat for a few more minutes, or until thickened and shiny.

Spoon half the choux pastry batter into a large piping bag fitted with a 1 cm round nozzle. Cover the remaining pastry with cling film. Pipe mixture onto trays in mounds

Bake at 200c for 10 minutes then turn it down to 180c for 15 minutes. Once they have browned, feel hollow and firm; Transfer to a cooling rack and immediately piece the bottom of the puff with a sharp knife.



For the Cream

With 60ml hot water, dissolve the gelatin. Add 40ml room temperature water and allow to cool .

In a large bowl whip your cream, gelatine and sugar with a whisk until soft peaks. Add vanilla and salt.

Keep beating to firm peaks. Fold in lemon curd. Keep aside until the puffs are completely cool.



For assembly

Spoon your cream in a piping bag with a thinner nozzle. In the hole you poked earlier, take the puff and pipe the cream inside of it. Repeat with all puffs.

Once finished melt chocolate over a pan of simmering water until melted. Drizzle generous over each puff and serve immediately

Linking this to Taste and tell Thursday!

6 comments:

  1. Yum, lemon and chocolate is such a sleeper combination - it creeps up on you. These look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey sarah. They were yum. My relative love lemons and poppy seeds , so I made these for them. They often have lemon and chocolate as a dessert combo back home. Maybe it is popular Chinese flavour?

      Delete
  2. Oh yum, these look divine! Your photos are gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you rosie! I would love to get better that them though.

      Delete
  3. What an interesting combination. I have made profiteroles a few different times and they are wonderful! I will have to give this one a try. Thanks for sharing this unique and fun recipe :) Krista @ A Handful of Everything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Profiteroles were one of first things I learnt to make. They are the best base for any kind of dessert and bonus is you can freeze the choux once baked. So you have these any time you want!

      Delete