Pages

A weighty issue.../-/Blueberry bread loaf with black seasame.




Detoxing, that is word on everyone’s lips right now. The call of the Australian Summer mean everyone is trying to slim down just that little bit in order to be presentable at the beach. Commercials for lemon detox, coconut water detox and weight challenges are rife in print media, like the bad reruns during holiday television.



Every year about this time I become extremely frustrated.

One, most are undertaking diets which do not have much scientific proof behind it.

Two, commenting on people’s weight seems to be just fine when normally it is bad manners.





Now commenting on someone weight should never happen, but it definitely should not happen in clothing store. On one of my shopping tips, I decided to window shop a bit in a major women’s clothing store. You would think that the sale staff would have a little sensitivity towards this issue since they know firsthand how much pressure there is on women to be thinner, but this is not the case. They were snickering behind the customer’s back while serving them! Shock! Horror!

Maybe the standards of sale staff need to be rechecked, anyone else their agree with me?




When I am angry, I like to bake bread. This is stupid but it gives me a place to knead out my aggression, like punching the pillow. Awful as this sounds I was thinking about the two sale staff and thinking what I would say to them in that moment if I had the courage.

Yep this is what I need, baking bread will restore me back to calm state.

Bread is will always fix my bad moods.

This loaf is not coloured with food dye, but naturally purple due to the juices in defrosted blueberries. I have always found it lovely when people use natural ways of colouring food, it make very thing look so pretty. The sweetness naturally found in blueberries all sugar you need in this loaf and we are always looking for a way to reduce added sugar. The black sesame seeds add their own bitter note to the bread, also when it is baking the aroma of toasted sesame floods your kitchen. I love yeasted fruit bread and I would recommend pairing it up with some cream cheese or simple drizzle of honey. Wonderfully soft fruit loaf to start the day or calm yourself down with.



Blueberry milk bread loaf with black sesame

Makes one loaf or two smaller ones.



400g bread flour

150g defrosted blueberries

100g milk

10g milk powder

20g malted milk powder

1 egg

6g dry yeast

4g salt

50g melted butter

Topping: 30g black sesame seeds

Optional: Milk and egg wash.



Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Knead until it forms a rough ball in bowl.

Turn the dough ball out on to an oiled surface and knead until it develops a high amount of gluten(window pane test). I did this for about 30 minutes.

Shape dough in to a sphere.

Once kneaded to the right stage place sphere in a oiled bowl and cover with cling warp. Leave to rise for 2 hours.

Once proofed, punch down and divide into two.

On a greased surface roll out one of the dough balls in to a rectangle about 30 by 20 cm.

Jelly roll style roll up the loaf until you have a cylinder. After fold in the ends about 10cm.

Place loaf seam side down in a greased and lined baking pan. Sprinkle your sesame seeds on top now.

Proof for 1 hour, covered in a damp towel

Preheat oven to 200c.

Remove cling and brush with egg and milk (optional), bake for 30 minutes or until hollow when tapped.

One baked, remove from tin and transfer to a cooling rack.

Submitting this to Yeastspotting.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful bread! I tend to bake bread when I'm feeling stressed - that's fix my bad moods, too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha i glad i am not the only one! happy baking Stefanie

      Delete